Even though I have already posted an entry on diamond color, I just ran into a situation that I think I should talk about. My customer was looking at a G, VS1, princess cut diamond. Sounds simple enough, right?
I had exactly what he was looking for (on paper), and I had one that was a J (three grades lower and cheaper). The only problem was the J was /whiter/. Wait, what?
How could this happen?
Honestly, it happens more often then I care to admit. The companies that certify and guarantee the color and clarity are very important to insure overall quality. GIA, for example is the strictest that I have seen as far as grading standards --they even invented the standards we all grade by.
EGL, another grading lab has branches all over the world. EGL in general is not near as strict as GIA, but certain branches are bigger offenders than others. (EGL-USA is the exception, with their quality being on par with GIA)
When I order diamonds in from all over the world, and I see it's been EGL certified I can bet that diamond is 1-2 grades lower than if it were GIA certified.
This is just another reason why you always want to look at your diamond in person before buying it and compare it to others.
No comments:
Post a Comment